londonburials.co.uk
Home page
     Introduction    Books     Links   City    North London   South London

Hammersmith
Key:  Current observations and notes   Holmes (1897)     Other sources       Maps


 
Notes on burial grounds contributed by Brian Firth. Awaiting photographic visit. 

St. Paul's Churchyard.
Church rebuilt 1882/3.
It has been reduced at the east and shaped for traffic flow. It provides a useful, if unpeaceful, public space. A plain garden, with much paving: a large scale layout fitting its context. Part is now a church car park and the flyover looms over it. A few tombs remain at east and west from the old yard, and stones line one wall in  19th century  clearing style. Won Landscape Institute Award 2001. One grand oak. 

1 acre. This is smaller than it used to be, the present church being larger than the old one, and a piece of the ground having been taken in 1884 to widen the road. It is neatly laid out and often open, but not a public recreation ground. It was consecrated in 1631, and frequently enlarged. (Holmes)


Pre 1884 view.


St Peter's Churchyard, Black Lion Lane.
Church opened 1829.
Kempt lawn and shrub-surrounded. A few stones at north wall. Small and overwhelmed  by main road. The contemporary railings survive.  

1,800 square yards. Closed and untidy. (Holmes)

New West End Baptist Chapel-ground, King Street.
Now under the Polish Cultural Centre and its garden at back. Remains reburied at  Brookwood.
acre. This is north and south of the chapel, the northern part having been encroached upon. Closed and neatly kept. (Holmes)

Wesleyan Chapel Burial Ground, Waterloo Street.
The school described by Holmes is now the Macbeth centre in Macbeth Street
The chapel has been supplanted by a Board School, and the playground is the site of the burial-ground. It is tar-paved, has a few trees in it, and is about 500 square yards in size. (Holmes)

Friends Burial-ground, near the Creek.
Now a walled garden of rest within  Furnivall Gardens ,established 1951. A monument gives the dates 1765-1944 for the meeting house (destroyed by bombing) and a burial ground is recorded in1780.
300 square yards. This is on the north side of the Friends meeting-house, and is closed, but very neat. There are a few flat tombstones, and burials took place until about 1865. (Holmes)

St. Mary's Roman Catholic Cemetery, Kensal Green
The poor relation of Kensal Green, but still the grandest Catholic cemetery in London.
30 acres. The first interment  was in 1858, and it is now crowded with vaults, tombstones, &c. It is open daily and neatly kept. (Holmes)

The Cemetery of the Benedictine Nunnery,  Fulham Palace Road.
Now under the Peabody Estate.
This is a small burial-ground in the garden. According to a report from the Home Office it is about 14  by 17 yards in extent. It was in use before 1829, but was closed for interment some years ago.
(Holmes)

The Cemetery of the Convent (Nazareth Home), Hammersmith Road.
The site remains against the wall of Church Lane . The Sacred Heart school on the Broadway covers the site of  an earlier convent burial  place: remains transferred  about 1869.
This is at the extreme end of the garden, under the wall of Great Church Lane. It is not more than 17 yards by 9 yards, and is used for the interment of the sisters, burials only
taking place at considerable intervals. This ground has been in use for upwards of 40 years.
(Holmes)


Lost  Ground

Convent Burial ground King Street.  
Replaced by Part of the buildings of the Convent of the Sacred Heart, rebuilt by Cardinal Manning. (Holmes)